[Chrysler300] Re: Question about Mountain Lake

[Chrysler300] Re: Question about Mountain Lake

Fellow 300-ers:

Registrations are humming along. I count almost 30 individuals. Time's limited to sign up, so don't delay. Our block of rooms gets released July 5, 2013. That's just over 2 weeks away.

Also:

Here's a little local color to pique your interest in Mountain Lake. Carlton Schroeder was poking around on the internet & posed the initial question below. Here's my response.

Thomas DeBusk
540-818-0767

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "DeBusk Thomas L." <tleed@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Question about Mountain Lake
> Date: June 16, 2013 12:59:33 PM EDT
> To: "Carlton Schroeder" <schroe99@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Carlton,
>
> The lake itself is fascinating. Limestone is the dominant rock and it is very porous. There is a creek in the area called Sinking Creek because it disappears for a while underground.
>
> Mountain Lake is one of only two natural lakes in Va. It's fed by rain & underground sources, but is also drained by underground fissures. A rock slide at one end dammed it up originally before modern times. During my lifetime it has remained full, but it has ebbed and flowed over time until the last 5 years when it practically dried up. We've had below-average rainfall. That severely impacted the business at the hotel. It also led to the discovery of several personal effects of a man who fell overboard in 1921 and drowned while out boating. They were lodged in the dried-up lake bed.
>
> The hotel had geologists study the area to see what could be done to retain more water. They discovered that the original rock slide brought large rocks, but few smaller ones that would in turn catch the clay soil that would hold the water. So over last winter the hotel spent a lot of money packing in smaller rocks & clay to hold the water. They finished some time in January/February and the lake has been filling ever since. We've had record rainfall since then and it's my understanding the lake was at 25% a couple of weeks ago.
>
> The lake isn't as empty as the pic you sent, but it's no telling what it will look like by the time our meet occurs. At the present rate, it could be full by the time we have our meet. But at normal rates, the hotel expected it to take a full year. I doubt it will be completely full by August, but I'm hoping it's enough to reach "critical mass" in terms of aesthetic appeal. It will be a shame if it doesn't, but at least it's on the right track now.
>
> Thomas
> 540-818-0767
>

> On Jun 16, 2013, at 11:48 AM, "Carlton Schroeder" <schroe99@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hi Thomas,
>> My daughters (they were maybe also thinking of attending) and I were looking over the Mountain lake Lodge website and had interest in the site layout and the lake.
>> The picture of the lake included at the Lodge website (under maps and birdseye) shows a mostly dried up lake.  What is the condition of the lake now and does it sometimes dry up in late fall ? early winter?  I am surprised the Lodge has a picture like that on their website.
>> Thanks,
>> Carlton
>>

>> <image001.png>

<*> Your email settings: