[Chrysler300] RE: Reply

Burt said it was OK to share this with the group.  You just can't beat getting information like this from someone who was there!

Bob J

From: Burt [mailto:northburt@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:46 AM
To: Bob Jasinski
Subject: Reply

Bob,

You are right. There were two reasons we destroyed the cars:

1. To avoid Chrysler’s responsibility to support 50 vehicles in customer hands.

2. To get the bond back that Chrysler had to post to import the cars without paying import duty. I don’t know the size of the bond but it was based on vehicle cost which was substantial.

I was Chief Engineer of Vehicle Planning from 1962 to 1964 and the management didn’t know where to assign the responsibility for coordinating vendor body build (at Ghia in Italy) so they assigned it to my office. I had two people doing that follow-up – Dave Cahoe in the USA and Paul Farrago (sp?) in Italy. Follow-up means scheduling of parts shipments to Ghia, scheduling vehicle build at Ghia and scheduling complete body shipments to the USA – and shagging parts sometimes.

I drove turbine cars overnight/weekends several times. It was fun. I always cruised Woodward Avenue in the evening because the turbine car drove the performance car driver’s nuts. After idling through Ted’s Drive-In (Square Lake and Woodward) I usually had a caravan of cars following me – and challenging me to a drag race on Woodward Ave. I resisted because I knew that I would lose because most of these cars were modified and tuned for 1/4 mile drag racing.

I also awarded two turbine cars in the 90 day consumer research program. One in Indianapolis (I think?) and one in Jackson, Mississippi. They were mostly publicity events with local TV and newspaper reporters present.  All Chrysler learned from the 200 respondents was that people loved the turbine car – especially because it was unique looking and free. And...the respondents became celebrities in their community.

Burt Bouwkamp