Re: [Chrysler300] Re: Turbine Car

Great story, thanks for sharing. Jay Leno had brought his Turbine to CPW's Spring Fling in Van Nuys several times. Although I go to that show every year I've missed it every time. So disappointed, hope he brings it next year. He also had it at a show this past weekend.

Mike Laiserin

Sent from my iPod

On Jun 18, 2013, at 12:12 PM, Jamie Hyde <jamie.hyde@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As a young boy of seven, I got to ride in the Turbine car that came to the Rochester NY area. The head photographer for all the underwater photography development work at the Eastman Kodak company was Neil Montanus. Neil's son Dan, and I were friends in grammar school, Neil was a car guy and for years we went to the Rochester Auto show with him as he got free VIP tickets. Turned out that Neil knew the family who got one of the Turbine cars west of our city and arranged to have it come to Penfield NY for his son and I to ride in. I sat behind the driver seat and do not recall much about the ride other than the large tunnel down the center of the car and the neat sound it made when he took off. I think I played with the power windows switches on the ride. As a kid you know nothing about turbine engines and we both thought it was like a jet because of the sound it made. I know we were looking behind us on the test drive to see if the cars trailing us were feeling the effects of the turbines exhaust and would be blown off the road. When we got back to Dan's house we both scurried upstairs and grabbed the plastic car models that we were currently working on, and returned them to the idling turbine car in the driveway, as Neil spoke to the driver. We held our models under the twin exhaust pipes thinking that they would melt with the exhaust, and of course they did not. I remember in the driveway, holding the models under the pipes, that the exhaust was warm, not really hot, and had an odor like the charcoal grill after you light it, so they must have been burning kerosene or something of that order in it.

> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)