[Chrysler300] Discrepancies: 1957 Chrysler 300C convertible

[Chrysler300] Discrepancies: 1957 Chrysler 300C convertible

Hello All –

Since I am still in the midst of restoring my late father’s 1957 Chrysler 300C convertible, I have been following with considerable interest any information about other similar vehicles offered for sale, now including this latest offering from RK Motors in Charlotte, NC.   I eagerly pored over the photos, looking for details that might help my own restoration process, and occasionally pouncing on any possible discrepancy – not to diminish this car’s validity, but to improve and validate my own understanding of some of the nuances with the 300C’s.

While reading the bloviating write-up for the ad, I noticed an error that shows how RK was merely regurgitating a previous 300C description:  Although one sentence talks about the color being formerly Cloud White, now Jet Black, later in the description they talk about  “…the car's glossy Gauquin Red engine bay…”  So, in addition to getting the color wrong, they also repeated an earlier misspelling, substituting a “q” for the middle “g”.    I went back through my saved links to previous 300C’s for sale and found that they were using the same boilerplate description from a November, 2012 offering!

Here is the link to that 2012 offering:  http://www.rkmotorscharlotte.com/sales/inventory/top_sales_2012/1957-Chrysler-300C/133285#!/

The funniest thing about that earlier description was that RK even had an audio narration of the written description, so in addition to getting the spelling of “Gauguin” wrong, they even pronounced it with the “q” instead of “g” in the name, so the narrator called it “…Gow-Quinn Red”!

Several Club members have mentioned some of the discrepancies with this (now black) car, and I am adding those to my personal information base.  What would really help is if everyone who is interested or even somewhat knowledgeable about the 300C’s would send in their comments regarding restoration details and discrepancies to the full membership on the list server.  That way, I can compile the group’s knowledge to refine my own restoration (incidentally, it is in original Gauguin Red!) and other 300C owners or aficionados can benefit as well.

Any help will be appreciated.

Ray Melton

Las Cruces, NM

1957 Chrysler 300C convertible   white/Gauguin

S/N  3N572517