Re: [Chrysler300] Unusual DeSoto?

How Burt ever keeps all that volume of cool Chrysler engineering history in his head without having it split open is beyond my comprehension.

Keith Boonstra

-

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 10:30 PM, John Lazenby french_fryguy@xxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300] <Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

After I sent my post regarding the three different Hemi engine versions I received a communication from Burt Bouwkamp.  He was there when all of those motors were bring developed and used.  I asked his permission to post what he sent me and he gave me the go ahead.

John,

My first job at Chrysler after I graduated in 1951 from the Chrysler Institute of Engineering was as the coordinating engineer in the Engine Lab for the 241 cu. in Red Ram Dodge V-8 hemi engine. We built about 25 prototype engines and my job was to schedule where/how the engines were to be used and to keep them up to date. We made many changes during the development and test program and those changes had to be incorporated in the engines still on test in the Carburetor Lab, Vehicle Testing, Dynamometer Lab etc. My job was to schedule those updates.

The three hemi’s (331 CID, 276 CID, and 241 CID) were unique. The only internal parts they shared were the hydraulic tappets. Our mentality at that time was that each carline had to have a unique engine. We cared about the engine pedigree  – but most customers didn’t.

When the Red Ram engine went into production, in 1952 I moved to the DeSoto Warren Plant to help this new manufacturing plant build the Fire Dome engine.

In 1954 I moved on to the Chrysler Division as the Resident Engineer for Fire Power engines.

In 1959 we change to the B and RB engines because Management decided that the cost and weight penalty of the hemi engine wasn’t worth it. I guess we (engineers) didn’t do a good job selling customers, dealers and management the technical advantages of a hemispherical combustion chamber.

Burt Bouwkamp