Re: [Chrysler300] 57-58 dual carbs and intake on ebay

Re: [Chrysler300] 57-58 dual carbs and intake on ebay

On 8/7/2014 1:56 PM, Keith Boonstra kboonstra@xxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
wrote:

> Lest someone get duped on this setup, only one of the carbs - the
> front one - has a tag on it. The photo of it is a bit too blurred to
> read it fully but the number is definitely not 2534s as it would be
> for a 300C (or even 2535s from the rear carb).

> The number does not appear to be correct for any other 300 dual quad
> setups either, so maybe the carb (or perhap both of them) came from
> a Buick or Corvette.

> The manifold itself is correct for either a 300C or a 300D. It's
> casting date does not show completely, but it seems it may be from
> February of 1957 and therefore from a 300C.

> Buyer beware.

> Keith Boonstra

> On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 1:09 PM, paul paulholm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:paulholm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [Chrysler300]
> <Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

> Someone earlier was asking about a setup for sale.

> OVER priced, BUT there is a make me and offer option

> www.ebay.com/itm/221516259238 <http://www.ebay.com/itm/221516259238>

> Other then the connecting linkage not looking familer to me, this
> looks mostly all there and mostly all correct. Most of the connecting
> linkqage I recall seeing was adjustable rather then this fixed length
> rod.

> NOT MINE, don't recognize seller

> -- Paul Holmgren No electrons were harmed in the posting of this
> message; however, large masses of them were slightly inconvenienced.

Ok, I dug out my graphics programs and scarfed up the pertinent
pics from the listing. Tried to enhance and enlarge the pics
to see what might pop out.

The tag looks like it might be a 2552 making the tag for a
57 Plymouth.

The carb linkage parts are more Mopar then GM, really!
the important parts that are on the carbs.

The choke cover isn't a Chrysler hemi heat tube cover
Did Desoto use the same heat tube design?
Seem to recall Dodge used a different choke method?
Seem to recall Plymouth used a different choke method?

don't see the brackets to anchor the linkage springs

Ok, now I notice the carbs DO have different bodys

none of the pics are high enough resolution to tell much more,
nore make out the body numbers with my eyes

The tops might be 'correct' for mopar

definitely a 1957 casting date code on the mannyfold

IMPORTANTLY!!  the front carb is the larger of the 2, so a rear carb can
be pieced together from a single 4bbl body I believe.

the asking ?? is in the 'stupid' Corvette range. I have seen the same
1957 Plymouth setup at swaps for 5-10 years, the reason they are still
on the market, no one has stepped up and made a deal yet, the asking is
$1800 for mannyfold, carbs, and air cleaners.

Realistically I believe most 2x4 Mopar carbs of this time frame actually
trade in the $350-$500 per carb price range.
At least in the areas I have been looking for the last 15 years.
Your area might experience a slightly different market trend,
I don't know.

--
Paul Holmgren
No electrons were harmed in the posting of this message;
however, large masses of them were slightly inconvenienced.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)