RE: [Chrysler300] 300 G Convertible

Just want to make a couple of comments on Bob's original question and Keith's response.  First off, the 1961 Chrysler service manual makes it clear that the recommended fluid for the convertible top system is "Heavy duty brake fluid", so that would mean DOT 3 or Dot 4.

ATF is not brake fluid, and could potentially cause damage to the seals and/or flex lines in the system, so I would avoid using it.  Having written that, I do know that some rebuilders of pumps and cylinders for convertible tops rebuild these units to use with ATF instead of brake fluid, and it fact that's what they recommend, but we are talking about a rebuilt system, not an original one. I also know that later Mopar convertibles used ATF from the factory, but not in '61.

My '61 G convert still has all the original hydraulic lift parts, pump, lines and cylinders.  I have only used brake fluid in it all these years, and it still works fine.  I make sure I exercise it several times each year, and have only had to add fluid about every 8-10 years (I'm probably due, it was 2005 the last time I added fluid)

The simplest way to get to the reservoir that I know of is to remove the rear cardboard panel in the trunk, and then the screws in the boot drain from on top, then push the fabric away to get access to the fill plug, which is on the side as I recall.  Use plenty of rags to soak up spills (it melts paint!), and pour in fluid with a funnel attached to a long hose until it overflows.  Run the top up and down to get out trapped air and top it off again.

If and when I get the hyd. parts rebuilt, I will seek out a rebuilder that uses ATF friendly parts, because it won't melt paint and it doesn't absorb moisture like brake fluid does, but until then, "If it ain't broke don't fix it", is my motto.

Bob J

'61 300G convert owner 36 years.