RE: [Chrysler300] Speedometer pinion gear for 300G

RE: [Chrysler300] Speedometer pinion gear for 300G

More fun with numbers.

Most mechanical-drive speedometers are calibrated to display 60 MPH (or one mile/minute) @ 1,000 RPM of the speedometer drive cable.

One can use any of the following expressions of the same equation for a precise computation of the ideal number of teeth on the driven (pinion) gear in a speedometer cable drive system:

# of teeth on pinion gear=((# of teeth on driving gear) X (Axle Ratio) X (Tire revolutions/mile))/1,000

                                          =(# of teeth on driving gear) X (Axle Ratio) X ((5,280 x 12)/(Pi x Tire OD in “))/1,000

                                          =(# of teeth on driving gear) X (Axle Ratio) X (20.168/OD)

For our 8-tooth driving gears:  # of teeth on pinion gear = (Axle Ratio X 161.344)/(Tire OD)

The 1964 Chrysler Service Manual lists the number of teeth on the driving gear is 8 and suggests a 19-tooth pinion gear for either the 8.00 X 14 (27.58” OD) or the 8.50 x 14 (28.10” OD) tire with the 3.23 axle.  Calculated values for number of teeth are 18.89 and 18.54, respectively.  With driven gears having numbers of teeth in the 18-20 range, one can expect accuracies of approximately +/- 2.5%.  Using the 19-tooth gear would cause the speedometer to read 58.8 MPH at an actual 60 MPH and the 18-tooth gear will cause the speedometer to read 62.0 MPH at an actual 60 MPH.

For the example of a 235/75R x 15 tire with a nominal OD of 28.90” and a 2.93 axle, the ideal pinion would have 16.35 teeth.

Significant variance from predicted speedometer readings may indicate the possibility of the speedometer head drifting out of calibration.  From the internet:  “Recalibrating a speedometer can be done by manipulating the hairspring, the permanent magnet or both. Generally, the strength of the magnetic field is the easiest variable to change. This requires a powerful electromagnet, which can be used to adjust the strength of the permanent magnet in the speedometer until the needle matches the input from the rotating drive cable.”  Changing pinion gears may be an inexpensive fix for an out-of-calibration speedometer as the correction would be linear with speed.  I would expect that adjusting the hairspring on the needle would produce a fixed adjustment—say 4 MPH at all speeds while  recalibrating the strength of the fixed magnets might produce the needed linear adjustment—say 5% at all speeds.  I recall hearing information that highway patrol cars and others had to have their speedometers calibrated periodically in order to stand up in court.  I have also seen information that police and highway patrol cars come with different speedometers—perhaps more stable and more easy to calibrate.

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA

1964 300K Convertible (with a grossly under-sized speedometer—anyone know why?  PC in ’64?  I recall that at one time the idiotic car nannies enacted a maximum speedo reading of 85.  Wiki:  Speedometers[edit]  On September 1, 1979, in a regulation that also regulated speedometer and odometer accuracy, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) required speedometers to have special emphasis on the number 55 and a maximum speed of 85 mph (135 km/h). However, on October 22, 1981, NHTSA proposed eliminating speedometer and odometer rules because they were "unlikely to yield significant safety benefits" and "[a] highlighted '55' on a speedometer scale adds little to the information provided to the driver by a roadside speed limit sign."[37][38][39]