Re: [Chrysler300] Macungie, Hard Luck Award?

Re: [Chrysler300] Macungie, Hard Luck Award?

On 7/30/2015 9:20 AM, Ronald Kurtz mark6268@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
wrote:

> Hello, all:

> The water jackets in the engine blocks (361 in my Newport and the
> 413s in my Ks and E) were loaded with casting sand, rust and other
> nasty stuff to the point where water could not circulate around the
> internal cylinder walls. The blocks were out of the cars and
> thoroughly dried. I  managed to get rid of most of the stuff by
> scraping with a host of tools and vacuuming through the freeze-plug
> holes. In one case boiling the block had little effect.

> Someone may have a technique to clean out the block while it is still
> in the car. If so, I (and most likely others) would like to know of
> it.

> Best, Ron Kurtz E #292

IT also could have been a situation where the anti-freeze used was
a contributor to the 'crud build up'.

Modern anti-freeze formulations are Different then what was once was.
I have had first hand experience with modern formulations creating
its own crud, lots of it!

It's mostly designed to be used in sealed systems with NO air gap
in the top tank. When the changes began to be prevalent several of
the name brand manufacturers were sued by a govt. agency for false
advertizing their product as 'Universal' one jug (ours) works for
everything.
Anywho, it does seem to develop particulate matter that settles out
much more then our old cooling system design likes.
I believe the older formulation of Ethylene glycol anti-freeze can
still be found.

--
Paul Holmgren
If you think Space is the Final Frontier,

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)