Re: {Chrysler 300} Chrysler wire wheels and tires

Re: {Chrysler 300} Chrysler wire wheels and tires

I believe 300G would have had 8.00-15 tires (29.3 to 29.7 in OD, Static Loaded Radius 13.5 to 13.8 in - 1960 Tire co OE tire data) - variation by manufacturer - larger is General, smaller are BFGoodrich and Firestone - sorry no Goodyear data but should be close to BFGoodrich / Firestone.

Only 6 common 15 inch sizes that vintage (most cars went to 14 inch in 1957, but these were previous generation and some 15 inch holdouts) - 6.40-15 Rambler, Studebaker; 6.70-15 Chevy, Ford, Plymouth; 7.10-15 Pontiac, Mercury, Dodge; 7.60-15 Buick, Olds, Chrysler, larger Pontiac / Mercury wagons; 8.00-15 Lincoln, Imperial, bigger Olds, 300B & 300G; 8.20-15 Cadillac. Some limos 8.90-15 but I never saw one.

So the 710R15 are definitely too small for a big 300G - 800R15 would be correct if it still exists (Check American Classics or Diamondback Auburn Premium) and you might get away with 760R15 if such exists but still small to replace 8.00-15.

In current sizes P235/75R15 (28.9 in OD typical, 12.9 in Static Loaded Radius typical) is about as big as you will find - load wise they should be OK, but they will sit lower. Check Auburn Premium (3 WW width options) or Coker American Classic.

Maybe Maxxis MA1 and Gremax 5000 too but I cant remember if those are wide or narrow WW. Lots of high quality production tires still available in blackwall P235/75R15 (under $100) if you want to go that way and have Diamondback put custom whitewall on them - (net price about same as American Classic or Auburn Premium?).

As to using tubes, that was not an uncommon problem with early wheels when tubeless tires came out in 1955 and it was particularly true for some wire wheels even into the early 70's.

You can always put a tube in a tubeless tire. Just make sure you have the correct size tube (never go oversize - they will pinch themselves) and one rated for Radial tires (some tubes are not rated for Radial tires). And if your wheel has protruding spoke ends, make sure there is a rubber sleeve covering spoke ends to protect tube.

Tires with tubes will run a bit hotter and if you pick up a nail they will go flat where a tubeless tire will maintain pressure much longer if the nail remains in the tire.

Best, Ed