From: "John Grady" <jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 8, 2022 10:31am
To: "Bob Jasinski" <rpjasin@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "chrysler 300 club" <chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: dplotkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "'AWRDOC' via Chrysler 300 Club International" <chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: {Chrysler 300} Two Circuit Master Cylinders 60-61

Hi ,
agree with below , — but do not eliminate the gap at pushrod . Things change with temp —if it blocks even partially (the internal fill port ) you then cannot pump any more fluid in from the reservoir ; brakes will work only one stroke  , that’s it . you do not  know that is the situation either . needs .010   or more gap   for sure . Not worth risk to push on that spec .
Big surprise for you —  if a seal failure in the wheel , and suddenly pumping does nothing . Pedal on floor . Dual master and all .
In line with below , the last few cars I have used corvette masters , but you have to redrill firewall and plates to two larger bolts .
They are available in three bores  and all combos of drum and disc  . Easily done when car is stripped , fits under the  booster nicely but they are  long . May hit ram
However , lack of master cc capacity is not the root problem ..:If you up the cc with larger bore , you get less braking vs push on pedal , that may be  ok , cuts excessive travel  . But no free lunch . Been there .

Another thing I knew but ignored and it really hurt me , and just like Danny says with dot 5 ,— I blamed 5  for long travel , compressibility soft pedal etc in a AAJ disc front F conversion , F drum rears . Bled 10 times . No change. Mopar master . Purposely the car had been set up with the correct pedal ratio ( from a dodge) and MC mount height / bore for manual brakes . ( both must change, never change to manual without relocating master vertically  ) . Result of disc conversion was not much brake ( imho ) as defined by stopping power . Very disappointing -/ and long pedal travel too . I love manual brakes , not the point .Better put , I loved manual drums ...
Gave me pause , disc and manual not so good ? But what about Corvettes ?
Anyway after a great deal of work and matching frustration , including blocking the front hydraulic system , then back system then hoses then measuring caliper deflection movement while seated at high pressure etc ( we are talking months ) , -after all this , it pointed to rears as 75% of the lost motion . But some in disc front too . Yet same caliper on a GM car are just
terrific . Made no sense .
I talked a lot to Master Power Brakes too , good guys , recognized experts , but they had no real insights beyond the obvious(  good web site)  ;They  got me all into GM “anti knock back “ calipers , a waste of time red herring .
But that is actually a huge problem with Wilwood calipers , with live pucks on both sides . In a race the pedal can suddenly drop a lot , as the rotor movement knocks the  disc piston back into its cylinder on corners as disc moves in and out . On both sides of the rotor  -Nice .

So I just kept driving ; I know, like Roger does , Gm calipers are good ..
guess what !!! after 1500 miles brakes were great .
This has bit me hard so many times now I feel really stupid . Our brakes are often useless for first 1500 miles till the shoes bed in , and center ( period!!!imho) and I think something like this happens to disc puck too . It does not touch right day one , I think , maybe only a small portion of shoe surfaces -in drum especially - are really working . . So any judging brakes just after assembly and first trial drive will lead you down  a frustrating 1000 mile garden path . This also means a lot of drum adjustment and falling of pedal is normal in that first few thousand  .
Just sayin ! I have seen this 7-8 times now.
I think 300 shoes physically deform above an initial small contact patch ( which being small, = little braking) — if not in absolutely perfect total 360 contact , the deformation acts just like air = a springiness in your system .  If there is fault in this design it is requiring a perfect shoe fit . Does not happen at assembly ever after 60 years . Especially with all new parts . Keep your old shoes and drums leave them alone .
And discs need to seat too .
Self energizing action of drums matters a lot , —-once  settled in — our drum brakes may be better “feeling “ than any disc , especially unboosted , for the first stop (of multiples, before hot) — that is for sure. And we  are not racing the car .The Kieckhoffer (sp?)   NASCAR B had no problems , -so, if you don’t agree that “ total contact “ brakes are ok as designed , think about that ... Looking back , our brakes won  100’s of races at Nascar , says our “ bad mopar brake” problems are all self inflicted .and I admit to that . I know a lot less now than I used to.
just info ..
ps , as mentioned before , sudden locking after storage pre 62 is internal rust on drum , typically self energizes erratically like crazy . Often one side . Back up fast apply brakes , 4/5 times , before pulling it apart !! fixed . Nothing is wrong !
John g
Sent from my iPhone not by choice