From: 'dave mason' via Chrysler 300 Club International <chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2024 07:34
To: John Grady <jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: mplindahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: {Chrysler 300} RE: ‘63 Chrysler fuel/temp gauge GAUGES in general

John all good info and to add to this, regulator (“limiter”) is indeed in the fuel gauge in 63-64.  One comment about just replacing these gauges.  (I’ve done this before myself so it is not an admonishment).  But I’ve found it’s more useful to check what you have going on before replacing the gauge(s).  This is two-fold: 1) it will lead you to the problem and 2) it will lessen the variables.

On the back of the printed circuit card for 63-64 that houses the temp and fuel gauges, there is a 5-pin termination for the traces.  One of these pins provides the 12V to the PC Card for the fuel gauge.  I think it is the second from the right as you are sitting in the driver’s seat looking at the dash but that’s just memory… I have many times seen a loose connection here where the 5-pin connector attaches that results in no volts to the fuel gauge.  Keep this in mind if you aren’t already, since replacing gauges means taking this connector off and on.  On the back of the fuel gauge you should be getting 12v at “I” (input) and 5.5V or so at “A” (adjusted).  The “S” is for the fuel Sender connection.  The 5.5 volts at “A” supplies the adjusted voltage to the temp gauge as well via the PC Card.  If you have both gauges going high it sounds like a failing limiter, as john mentions.   If you get nothing, it could be a loose 5-pin connector or another bad gauge or the headlight switch perhaps.  But an easy way to check this, ground the sending wire for the fuel and/or temp gauge for a few seconds; the gauge should climb all the way right, if powered up.

Mark i am not sure but power may indeed route through the headlight switch.  If there is melted plastic I’d consider replacing that with a new one because they are available at Napa.  There is a thermostatic cut out built into the switch.  Sometimes those don’t operate as they should (cutting out too soon or too late).  This could possibly explain your melted plastic?  I have had one bad one out of the box, and several that worked great.  Roll of the dice.

D&K

Sent from my iPhone

--
---