Re: hidden vin numbers

In a message dated 3/15/2004 7:40:25 AM Eastern Standard Time,
wwatson5@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> Yes, the IBM card as both the VIN and the SON.  But the data tag has only
> the SON prior to 1969.   You cannot determine the vehicle's VIN from the
> information on the car's data tag if it was built before 1969.
>
> Bill
> Vancouve, BC

   Thats true. You ned the vin number to get the IBM card. If you do have the
VIN you can cross reference the SO number on the data tag to your IBM card.
That is how I was able to prove that my car was indeed the one that I had the
VIN number for. If you have a VIN number that has the general info that matches
your car and if you order the IBM punch card the SO number would be what ties
it together.  In my case it was a green 4 door 63 Custom 880 with blah blah
blah    and the SO number which was the same as the one on my fender (data)
tag. That was the only way that I could prove to the Florida Motor vehicle
department that this was really the same car.