RE: 413

Bill,

Yep, but look at all the trouble you went through. If you had done it
first, (called Ross) you might have not thought it was so expenseve
in the long run. Now it is right, and will work great. I always feel
that
the best money spent on building a motor right, is custom pistons.
Every time I have gone on some stock off the shelf piston search to
save money, I would have always been better off in the long run
just having the dog gone things built.

Earl

In building the 413 for my max wedge car, here is what I found:  it is a

correct '62 max wedge block.  It had been bored to the 426 +.030 over
size,
and had 426 +.030 over pistons in it.  These are the pistons I sold to
another list member last summer.  However, the pistons were very loose
in
the bore, and the wear was such that it would need to be bored to 426
+.040
size to clean up again.  I am about 50 miles from Indy Cyl Head.  My
machinist called them and asked about getting the block sonic checked.
They
replied that they would be glad to take my money, but that they didn't
need
a sonic test to tell me that there was no way there was enough metal
left in
the cylinder walls for a good high performance ring seal at 426 .040
over,
even though we probably wouldn't break through, as 413 blocks had very
thick
walls.  Thus was made my decision to sleeve the block.  Before selecting
the
sleeves, my machinist and I talked extensively about the best way to go.
He
CC'd my -286 '62 max wedge heads, coming up with an average of 86.5 CC,
pretty damn good given the nominal spec is 87 CC, so at most these heads

have had only a clean-up mill at some time in the past.  I checked into
several supposed sources for 413 and 426 pistons.  Of course KB has the
deep-dish truck pistons, which would give about 8.5 to 1 with those
chambers.   A lot of places listed stock flattop 413 and 426 pistons,
when I
called, it was "oops, those are backordered" every time.  I finally
found a
set of 413 .030 over Badgers at "Loweville Automotive", they had listed
complete 413 rebuild kit on eBay, so I emailed them and eventually got
the
pistons.  These were flattop, and very heavy, and also would be down in
the
hole quite a bit based on their specs.  So I messed around with second
thoughts, meanwhile the machine shop ordered the sleeves for 413 size.
In
my experience, a 10:1 or 10.25:1 static compression ratio, like I'm
running
in my 340 Cuda with mildly domed pistons, works very well for a HP
street-strip type car, and I hated to give up the compression.  FInally
bit the bullet, the machinist called up Ross Pistons and laid out
everything
we had.  I'm planning to run about a .509 cam or thereabouts for easier
street driving, so we gave them that, the chamber CC's, etc.  They made
up a
set of stock bore 413 pistons, domed to give me 10.25 to 1 based on the
info
we provided.  Man they are beautiful, and man were they expensive,
nearly
$800 with shipping.

Bill & Kathi Parker, South Central Indiana
'56 Chrysler Windsor; '60 Chrysler Saratoga; '62 Plymouth Max Wedge; '64

Dart convertible; '65 Barracuda \6; '65 Imperial; '68 Barracuda FB
340-S;
'69 Barracuda FB now 360; '72 Cuda '340

Find things fast with the new MSN Toolbar - includes FREE pop-up
blocking!

----
directly to that person.  I.e., send parts/car transactions and
negotiations as well as other personal messages only to the intended
recipient, not to the Clubhouse public address. This practice will
protect your privacy, reduce the total volume of mail and fine tune the
content signal to Mopar topic.  Thanks!

----

b7yoMz.