RE: Jumping Speedometer needle

Tom sounds good to me  I'll look into that.  Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas R Hansen [mailto:trandco1@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2004 8:44 AM
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Jumping Speedometer needle

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:11:07 -0600 "David L. Orr" <fe2orr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:
> I have a jumping cable. I've lubed it with graphite, no luck , dried
> it, no
> good, lubed with speedo lube, no good,  replaced it, no good. tried
> every
> thing anyone sugested. nothing  still jumps.  next is to look in
> the
> speedometer it self in the dash and see if something need replacing
> there?????????  Dave O

  I had a severe needle jump on my '65 Plymouth, and a very distractive
squeal to go with it. I also tried to lube the cable, and made sure of
it's routing. I was driving along and listening to that god awful noise,
and just glanced down to see the needle break off, and drop to the bottom
of the speedo gauge. The speedometer was the problem. It had way too
much, in and out, play on the rotating part of the speedo head. I had to
pull over and disconnect the cable, because it still made the noise. It
was amazing how much quieter it was after that! When I did find another
speedometer, I reset the odometer to all 00000.0 . Seemed like a good
starting point, for the rest of my life. Tom

----
topic.  Thanks!

----

b7yoMz.