Re: 727 or 904

Hi !
        I provided this reply a while ago to another who asked a similar
question......

        The easiest way to tell a 904 (A.K.A. Torque Flite 6) is to look at
the pan profile and the
 overall profile of the transmission.The 904 has a very noticable "Step" in
behind the bell housing portion of the trans case since the "power train" of
the trans is of a smaller cross section and that is reflected in the case
profile;  the 727 does not have this step as its almost smooth all the way
down to the extension housing. The pan perimeter profile on a 904 is
straight on the shift linkage/cable side of the case ,the 727 has a distinct
narrowing of the pan just behind the linkage/shift cable area of the case.
You shouldn't have to worry about a 904 being in your '63 anywho,the 904 was
originally designed as a trans for the Slant six and was adapted for V-8 use
in '64 for use behind the New 273 V-8 that made its debute in '64. You'll
find some Valiants/Darts and Real early Barracudas  equipped with what
became known as the 904 "LA". In '63 the 727 was the Automatic behind the
318, hence its identification as the Torque Flite "8".
The drive shaft thing is cause for debate. I'm running a Ball and Trunnion
and will continue to do so
many individuals are changing the output shaft and extension housing to a
'65 unit in order to use the conventional cross and roller style of
universal joint with a sliding yoke. This allows the selection of the "7290"
(large) cross and roller yoke and u-joint. The cross and roller u-joint is
easier to service
and tends to be looked upon as somewhat stronger for high horsepower
applications. The Max Wedge cars used a larger Ball and Trunnion unit that
is becoming quite rare and hard to locate
but there are those of us who persist.

    Wally
     63 Dodge etc.