RE: Newer 360 into 64 Polara 500 questions.

RE: Newer 360 into 64 Polara 500 questions.

Are you looking for savings on products you use everyday?
Visit Quality Health today and see the coupons, free
samples and special offers our members enjoy each and
everyday.
caab3ozb7yoMza/ Ivo Interactive

Hi Andy,

I did the swap you are contemplating.

There was one bolt hole fewer on the 360 than the 318.  It was not a
problem.

I did not get a balancing kit for the torque converter and my 360 shook
all the time when idling.  I did not notice any problem with driving it
only at idle.

Another problem that I ran into (it was in 1980 and this list was not
here) was that in order to use the power steering pump I had to use the
original water pump.  This meant that the timing marks were covered and
I got very frustrated fooling with the timing to get the engine to idle
smoothly.  (If I had known about the need for external balancing there
would have been little problem).

I used the original kick down linkage attached to the carb that came on
the 360.  I had to extend the ball joint almost to the end but it did
work.

I chose to switch to the 360 because of availability of parts.  I did
not know that a lot of the modern 318/360 parts would interchange.  Gary
Pavlovich has done a few articles that list what will interchange and
that information is very helpful.

Enjoy the 360.

K.

Andy Grow wrote:

> Fellers,
>
> First off, I apologize for asking SO many questions about different
> engine swaps.  I'm real limited to what I can do because of where I
> live, and there ain't anyone around to help me!  Thanks for
> understanding!  :)
>
> Looks like my 318 Poly is going to need a full and complete rebuild,
> which will cost more than I can spend right now.  Because of that, I've
> decided to drop a newer, running 360 that I can get for cheap, into the
> car (and still keep the original 318 Poly for a later rebuild).  I'll be
> using the engine mount adapter kit from Schumacher.
>
> Transmission - will my original 64 trans bolt right up to a newer 360?
> I've heard I'll need to get the torque converter balanced, but that
> otherwise it shouldn't be a problem.
>
> Exhaust manifold - can I use the original 318 manifolds that are in the
> car, or do I need to get a set of 360 manifolds (or even better, some
> headers from TTI)?
>
> Anything you experienced guys can tell me, especially something I might
> be overlooking, would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Regards,
> Andy
>
> --

Kevin R. Merkley
Thunder Bay, Ontario
64 Dodge 440 2dr HT (Cdn)

Are you looking for savings on products you use everyday?
Visit Quality Health today and see the coupons, free
samples and special offers our members enjoy each and
everyday.
caab5n1b7yoMzf/ Ivo Interactive

----

b7yoMz.