rear end lube update

Bounces like rubber! Shatters like ceramic! Discover Crazy
Aaron's Thinking Putty in grown up handfuls. It's the
creativity unleashing, mood enhancing desk toy!
caab8Ldb7yoMza/ Crazy Aaron Enterprises

I had asked whether I could use GL-5 rather than GL-4 specified in the
manual, and I found this interesting post:

"I first made inquiry of the various oil companies (in USA only) easily
found on the web and asked if they had a GL-4 gear oil and what happens
if API GL-5 gear oil is used in an API GL-4 gear oil application.  The
consistent and typical answer was, "...if an API GL-5 gear oil is used
in an application where API GL-4 gear oil is called for, chemical
corrosion of "yellow metal" components may occur, such as bronze
synchronizers, brass bushings, etc. This may lead to shifting
difficulties or shortened life. "[Pennzoil web site] "Typically, GL-5
gear oil will have about 2 times the active additive level of a GL-4
Product.  This additional additive can cause problems with yellow metals
such as brass or bronze. "[Castrol tech email]. The only oil companies I
contacted which said they had a GL-4 product were Pennzoil, Castrol &
Valvoline."

Are there any such "yellow" metals in our 64 rear ends?

Zack

Bounces like rubber! Shatters like ceramic! Discover Crazy
Aaron's Thinking Putty in grown up handfuls. It's the
creativity unleashing, mood enhancing desk toy!
caab7pJb7yoMzf/ Crazy Aaron Enterprises

----

b7yoMz.