Re: Odd behavior

Give Your Team Access to Their PCs from Anywhere. Increase
productivity with a secure remote-access solution from
GoToMyPC Pro. Stay in touch with your office. FREE TRIAL:
caab6awb7yoMza/ ExpertCity

The early style (1969 or so and before) uses the bulky square regulator and
has a single wire for the field. If your early alternator was replaced with
a newer one but the regulator wasn't changed, then the second field terminal
was grounded (which was done internally on the early style alternators.
The later regulator is about 3/4" tall and has a plug instead of a screw lug
and spade terminal. There are electronic replacements for the early style
regulator so if you have the early style and there are no points inside of
it, its electronic and shouldn't hurt your orange box.
Here are some eBay links to show you what they look like:

The early style regulator:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7900487136&category=34205

The later style regulator:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7900475771&category=10076

Electronic version of the early style alternator:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2474094648&category=33577

Here's the later style regulator plug (available at your Chrysler dealer, or
cheaper at the junkyard):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7900388690&category=10076

Here are two later style (dual-field) alternators (note the two spade
terminals, one for each brush):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7900348027&category=34205
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2474677641&category=33573

The early style alternator directly grounds one of the brushes  instead of
it having a spade terminal. Here is a later style alternator to which
someone has added a ground wire to use it with the early style regulator.
This also has the square bolt-in diodes where the others shown have a round
back with pressed in diodes:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2474373385&category=33573

Hopefully this will simplify things for you.

Dave Casey