*%) CARB

Domains as low as $4.95!
Limited Time! ICANN Accredited GoDaddy!
caaccM5b7yoMza/ GoDaddy

Spent the day redoing a 850 double pumper I bought. Actually I feel I stole it ($150 Canadian. and virtually brand new but sitting  awhile)
First i cut the choke housing off and filed it flat leaving the vent tube and its cast boss intact. I also left the back wall of the Choke housing standing so as to try and isolate the Primaries from the secondaries. I do not normally do this but it is my carb on my car and i wanted to see what would happen.
Taking a sharpe folding knife i cut any casting flash off I could find. Especially the parting line in the veturies formed when the carb was cast. I also removed some bad casting flash from the nozzles (and from the shooters) and a gob from all four boosters left on the outside. (Early Holleys were much better casting wise) I took a fine large flat file to the metering block mounting surface (one was very bad  and one just ok.) and removed all the severe high spots. I also filed the bottom of the main body where the throttle plate assembly bolts on. On the linkage side there was a bad casting flash about 1/16 of an inch high so it was well worth the effort. After cleaning up the areas a bit more I blew out the main body and put it back in the carb cleaner for about 1 hour. Then I rinsed it and blew
it dry. Next i turned my attention to the throttle plate assembly. I smoothed off the back side of the screws even with the throttle shaft and restaked them so they wont work loose. I double checked for tightness just in case.
I drilled two holes (one in each primary throttle plate) .082 " to allow air to bypass so the throttle plates will remain closed and the idle circuit will remain adjustable despite the fast idle of the big cam. I cleaned everything up and began assembly.
4.5 power valves in both ends. 84 jets in both ends and stock 31 shooters in both ends. After adjusting the pump diaphragm travel and rough setting the floats i bolted it on and fired it up. After setting the float levels and adjusting the idle speed  I set the mixture screws. Was able to get a stable idle much lower than with the old carb and it seems very reponsive although it had now started to rain so i was able to give it the full test.
Maybe i will finish it up on Monday and we will see how it boogies. It did feel good though.
No bogs and a steady idle.
Sold the old carb for $300. It was a reworked 3310 Holley and was a very good carb. Wagar borrowed it for 7 years once I finally got it back a couple of years ago. Still I wanted a Double pumper 850+ on this big an engine. I think it works better but next week will tell for sure.
Don

Cancel your low-carb diet. Lose weight. Choose your own
foods. Learn more about our program at:
caaccM7b7yoMzf/ Dr. Smith

----

b7yoMz.