RE: Engine test stand

Graduate in less than 13 months with AIU?s Online virtual
campus. Classrooms and student service as close as your
computer. Highly accredited, study anytime ? anywhere.
caaccM2b7yoMza/ AIU

Joe,

I have been walking around doing this myself. Heck I have all the
parts laying around to do one. My issue is how much I would use
it, and where I would put it when I am done.

One BIG safety feature I would advise you to do is to have an
emergency cut off switch in your hand. One of our members -
Bill Cole - just experienced a problem while breaking in his
cam. The motor was running just fine at 2500 and all of a
sudden for no reason started revving to the moon. He dove
for the coil wire, but not before it got up to some high rpms.
With no load on a motor, if there was some malfunction with
the fuel system, or if something broke on the stand,
it would just take a second to destroy the motor. If it was me
I would even consider a dead man switch - one that you have
to hold closed all the time and if you let go it will shut off the
motor.

Let me know what the stands look like and what you think of
them. Most crate stands just fit under the pan rails, I think
I would prefer some type of mount that bolts to
one motor mount ear at least. Which you could add to a stand like
that with no problem. Keep me posted on your project.

Earl

  Has anyone built a low buck stand to run an engine on?  I just want to
use
it for breaking in the cam and initial tune before bagging it up while
the
body work is done.  I got hold of the guy who builds the stands that
Mopar puts
on their crate motors.  He lives in Tennessee and sells the stands for
25.00.
He's going to ship me 2, a RB and an LA.  He uses 1" square tubing and
says it
should be ok.  I'm not going to rev the motor over 2500 and there won't
be
any load on it.  I'm thinking that I should bolt it to a couple of 6'
4x6"
perpendicular to the crank so it won't rotate, and can weld in some
reinforcements
if it looks weak in some area. A radiator, an outboard motor gas tank,
battery
and gauges should do it. Any ideas?   Joe

Looking for a Promotional or Marketing Gift? Discover
Crazy Aaron's Thinking Putty in grown up handfuls. It's
the creativity unleashing, mood enhancing desk toy
customized with your corporate image!
caaceBcb7yoMzf/ Crazy Aaron Enterprises

----

b7yoMz.