From: ledman_70@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ledman_70@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 8:23 AM
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: New Heads/Rebuild Engine?

I had this same issue with the 413 in my 64 Polara a few months ago.
70lbs of compression in one cylinder. When I took the heads off one
valve was burnt off on the edge. I rebuilt a spare set of heads I had
and put them back on the 120,000 mile motor. It brought the compression
up on all cylinders to around 135 lbs. Worked good for me, but this was
a TEMORARY motor for me as I'm building a 426 wedge for the car. One of
the gurus on the list can tell you how to determine if the loss of
compression is in the top or bottom end by squirting oil in the
cylinders.
Jeff

John Mopar wrote:

> Hello all,
> My '64 Polara has a 383 with factory four barrell engine with 120,000
> miles on it. It is starting to run poorly. It is running roughly in
gear
> and has been using about 1 quart every 500 miles. There also appears
> be lots of blow-by coming out of the PCV valve and oil fill hole in
the
> valve covers.
>
> I had the compression checked, and two of the cylinders have 60 pounds

> of compression in them.
>
> At this point, I don't want to rebuild the entire engine as I don't
have
> the money or time to do it. What should I do to keep it running
> (cheaply!):

Empower your Team with Remote Access. GoToMyPC Pro
provides your organization with instant remote access to
email,files, applications and network resources in real
time. FREE TRIAL:
caaciqTb7yoMzf/ExpertCity

----

b7yoMz.