RE: Charging System

[AD removed for archives]
Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
caaclxSb7yoMza/OmahaSteaks

John,

My question is why do you run a Alternator on a race car in the first
place? Just put a charger on it between rounds, and if
you have to hot lap it, you should be good for at least four hot laps
with a good battery. Having a charging system on a race
car is just something else to go wrong in my view, not to mention the
weight.

Earl

Another question concerning my Valiant race car.  After a very short
time of use, my trunk mounted battery was almost dead.  Charged it up
and life is good.  Had it checked out and it is perfect, as is the
alternator.

I'm sure there is a wiring glitch.  The alternator is your standard
Chrysler model with BAT connection and two FLD connections.  I use an
external regulator (flat, post '70, with the triangular connector).  One
FLD (green) and the other FLD (blue) runs directly to the regulator.
There is no splice in the blue wire to an external 12v switched source.
The BAT (heavy 12 GA) is wired from the alternator post to a Y splice
from my MSD.  The other leg of this splice connects to the same point on
a Ford solenoid where the positive battery cable from the trunk
connects.  (This wiring was all done before I bought the car and the
previous owner used an internally regulated alternator.)  The MSD also
connects to an ignitions toggle switch with a small 18 GA wire.  I must
assume this is a 12V  switched source?

Reading my MSD instructions, I found the following:  "The heavy red wire
from the MSD connects directly to the battery positive terminal or to a
positive battery junction on the positive side of the starter solenoid.
NEVER:  connect the alternator."

I am confused.  The car runs great, but doesn't charge the battery.
Clearly the charging circuit is incorrect.  The car runs fine, but for
the charging of the battery.  Hope all of this is clear enough.

[

Sponsor a child today through Children International.
Give a desperately poor child hope for a brighter future.
For only $18 a month you can make a difference!
caaciqSb7yoMzf/Children's Int'l

----

b7yoMz.