Re: intake gasket needed

[AD removed for archives]
Stories from the Civil Rights Movement. Extraordinary stories,
ordinary people. Share your memories today!
caacpgMb7yoMza/AARP

Group: I was looking for a gasket to fit between the "lid" and base of my
str-14. Edelbrock no longer makes them or has them available. Calls to several
other places yielded nothing. Local engine builder told me to use red "high
heat"silicone sold by NAPA. He advised to clean both surfaces with lacquer
thinner, spread a bead, put top on immediately, tighten every other bolt, run finger
along "joint", then tighten other half of bolts. He explained that tightening
down immediately will allow silicone to adhere to both surfaces, rather than
only one if you let the silicone set for an hour or so before installing other
piece. Have others used this approach? Successful? We plan to try it tomorrow.
An interesting aside: This engine builder recently did a motor for the
present owner of Dan Guerney's # 48 Barracuda. Here in little old Richmond, KY!
Rich