crate motors

[AD removed for archives]
Stories from the Civil Rights Movement. Extraordinary stories,
ordinary people. Share your memories today!
caacpgMb7yoMza/AARP

I still think crate motors are too expensive. Most motors we do even at this retired state during which we charge more because of our interuption of free time dont even come close to crate motor prices.
Most engines run between 3000 and 4000  with 4000 being core charge included.
And those are in Canadian Dollars.

I see the 6 pack blocks for 5500 US.
I would be glad to supply them for that .
should be about 2500 to 2700 Can without heads.
You can get a balanced forged piston rotating assembly from Muscle Motors for a 440 for $1750 US
Add a cam and a bored and cleaned block with freeze plugs and cam bearings and timing chain set and you have a very hi quality engine far superior to any crate engine for an about 450 more plus the price of your block which should run between 200 to 300 Us
That gives 1750 + 450 + 300 = 2500US And that is a REALLY good engine with some very very good parts.
It could certainly be done cheaper as well .
(Ie L2355f pistons from Summit $349)  The whole rebuild kit for about  $549 , Grind your crank $100 (max) Resize rods with new bolts $225. Balance $175
So 549 + 100 + 225 +175 = 1000 +450 + 300 = 1750 for the exact same deal as the crate 6 pack motor. Prices may vary a bit but not more than a couple of hundred Dollars.
If you don't like putting it together yourself there is not a qualified mechanic alive who wouldnt assemble it some evening for a hundred bucks cash and an extra large pizza. The pizza by the way is what makes it work and it must be extra large otherwise you are percieved and being "Squeaky" and may not get the job done. It might not make sense to you but it is how we wrenches think.
Add a set of heads of your choice with appropriate springs  (heads run from 750 to 1750 and the appropriate valve gear( Pushrods and rockers) and you are  done ready for your manifold and pan and valve covers .
Either engine will hammer a crate motor into the weeds.
With the hemi just the pistons would be more expensive, The rest of the parts are the same except the heads.
Not everyones cup of tea maybe but still worth thinking about before you make Herr Schlemp (MP) richer again.
Don

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Get the latest weather,
sports, and lifestyle news you can't afford to miss, all
at a price you can afford to pay!  Click now!
caaa9eYb7yoMzf/TopOffers
----

b7yoMz.