RE: Engine Introduction

[AD removed for archives]
Shop online for Discount Auto Parts: Mirrors Headlights Tail
Lights Bumpers Fenders Window Regulators Spoilers Altezza Lights
and a Full Line of Auto Body Parts. www.partstrain.com
caacxygb7yoMza/Parts Train

Gary,

It is amazing to me how different areas of the country are with finding
old Chrysler motors.

Salt lake where I live, NOTHING -

Idaho - Where my brother in law lives - 440's galore - the guys up there
won't even look at a 413 because there are so many 440's. Mostly from
C Body's.

They think they are getting rich when I give them 200.00 for a complete,
good running 440. They laugh at me, and I laugh at them. I guess that is
what you call a good deal all around.

There are a bunch of 71 400 blocks in this area. I come across one about
every 3 months.

I think the best motor for a 62-65 B body is a stroked 400, with raised
port heads. Big horse power, good fit, lighter than the 440, and great
HP to Torque curves.

Too bad it cost so much to ship these things. I could make a good living
selling 440 motors. Keep your eyes open for my new web site. It will
be about 3 months before I get it up, but it will be moparmilitia.com.
I will be listing some of this stuff from Idaho.

Earl

Doug's right about the false impression that 440's were a 1967 item, for

instance,  a lot of B' body fans don't recall the big 1966 Mopars with
440 power.

I thought 400's actually appeared vehicles in 1972. Guess I'm wrong.
I've not seen a 1971 400. What vehicles did they come in?

400's are still Rodney Dangerfield engines to a lot of people,
unfortunately. That's good for a 400 buyer! :)

Any size big block works well in a '62 to '65 B body though.

Over the last few years I've seen this general pattern in the self serve

pick-a-part type junkyards this-a-way:

10 years ago:
440 usually pulled but not always
383 sometimes pulled
361 never pulled
400 never pulled

5 years ago:
440 mostly pulled
383 mostly pulled
361 mostly left in car to crusher
400 mostly left in car to crusher

now:
440 hardly seen at all, when seen pulled
383 hardly seen at all, when seen pulled
361 about never seen, don't know if would get pulled
400 hardly seen at all, when seen, sometimes pulled

I would assume 413 and 426 engines would usually get pulled, especially
as we head toward current times. Certainly the hi-po versions would.
(Reminds me of a guy I know who, in the mid 1970's, found a complete
1964 Chrysler 300 with the cross rams and all intact in a junkyard.  He
bought the whole car and restored it.)

That said, there's always exceptions to big block patterns. For example,

about 3 years ago there was a 1964 Chrysler New Yorker in a yard 'round
here with the 4bb 413 engine. The carb was taken but otherwise the
Chrysler was complete. The 413 was there about a year and no one pulled
the engine, even at a less than $200 price for a long block. Go figure.
The car and 413 hit the crusher. Pains me to think of it and I just had
no time to mess with that car.

Gary H.

Doug Ahern wrote:

> On 26 08/12/04, tduross1@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > When did the 440 engine come out?  Was is 66 of 67? And the 400? I'm

> > pondering B/RB options for 1965 and would like to be correct.
>
> Hey Tom,
>
> whatcha mean by "correct"?  440=1966-1978, the first hi perf. 440s
> came in 67, I think thats why lots of folks think 67 was first 440.
> for '66, the 440 was strictly a large-barge C-body mover...
> 400=1971-1978.   I like 400s:  still cheap, big bore.. the two 400s
> I have were given to me (in the past 2yrs, too...).
>
> Doug

[AD removed for archives]
Need cash fast? Get a $500 CASH ADVANCE overnight! Let
YourCashCentral get you the cash you need.
caacxycbV1hOjf/MyOnlinePayday

----
directly to that person.  I.e., send parts/car transactions and
negotiations as well as other personal messages only to the intended
recipient, not to the Clubhouse public address. This practice will
protect your privacy, reduce the total volume of mail and fine tune the
content signal to Mopar topic.  Thanks!

[AD removed for archives]
Need cash fast? Get a $500 CASH ADVANCE overnight! Let
YourCashCentral get you the cash you need.
caacxycb7yoMzf/MyOnlinePayday

----

b7yoMz.