RE: Torsion Bar Clips and Seals

[AD removed for archives]
Get 4 Free low-fat, low-carb recipes
caacNoLb7yoMza/PermissionData

Hi,

I removed my torsion bars last winter from my 64 Dodge and the clips
were fine.  They are not stuck in very hard at all.  There purpose is
simply to stop the torsion bar from migrating rearward.

A regular pair of pliers will remove the clips.

The seals should be okay too if you are careful when sliding the torsion
bar.

I actually removed the torsion bar with the lower control arm and then
did not need the torsion bar removal tool and a hammer as is shown in
the FSM.  By removing the torsion bar and the LCA together the torsion
bar came out of the car forward instead of rearward and the seal was not
damaged.

The bars are stamped for right and left so don't mix them up.  It does
not matter which end goes forward.

Good luck.  We are all in this together and a lot of us have done what
you are proposing to do.

Enjoy.

K.

Dave Casey wrote:

> Here's a fun one. A front end rebuild on my '65 Polara is impending so
> I'm getting things together for a smooth operation. Near as I can tell,
> the torsion bar clips and seals are different from those on A/B/E
> bodies. The part numbers I have are:
>
> 1639171 - C-body retaining clip
> 2269250 - C-body seal
>
> 1671446 - A/B/E body retaining clip
> 2071173 - A/B/E body seal
>
> What's the difference between them? Can I safely use the readily
> available B-body parts?
> How likely is it that my original, never removed clips will survive?
>
> Dave Casey

Kevin R. Merkley
Thunder Bay, Ontario
64 Dodge 440 2dr HT (Cdn)