440 bottom end strength. and Mosers

[AD removed for archives]
Amazing Diet Patch
caacOlIb7yoMza/MyDietPatches

The pass word for Moser is probably to go up to the door and holler "machen sie tuer auf!" as loud as you can. It might not get you in but it will get his attention.
440 bottom ends. You guys are right .The rods are the weak link. That is more RPm realted than anything else. Above 6500 they are just hanging on because they are so long. Several companys make excellant replacements , some for so little you can hardly justify resizing the stocker and buying new bolts. If a 440 fails it will be a rod that breaks in most cases. Under 6500 RPM , dont give it a moments thought. The stockers can easily handle that. Loads are not linear but are more squared so the threshold is quickly crossed above approx 6500 RPM
I have an engineer report that says 6 pack rods were twice as strong. I am not sure I quite believe it but they are certainly stronger then stockers. (yes I know they are heavier, so what. The extra strength more than offsets that. Hemi Rods which fit (require different pistons)are even stronger and much heavier) Main caps will sometimes give trouble above 550 hp. Never had one fail but did find a slightly cracked one after 9 years of brutal hard racing and 5100 rpm launches. In the old days we used to make 'chocolate bars for them' (for the old 392 hemis.) I see someone is doing that now for the small block chevies. It is fairly simple to do if you have a good general machine shop (none automotive) nearby that can custom make the bars for you. The Pro-gram are a good idea but like it was said the machining needs to be very good. I would tend to favour the aluminum caps available (muscle motors etc.) I think they would be less pron to breakage although I have not needed them so far.
We have not experienced crank problems per say . Sometimes in a street engine the thrust takes a beating in an automatic car with not enough stall .Hard chroming and good clearance (ground to low side) will put an end to any bearing problems providing there is sufficient pump  and pan volume. Above 6500 a milidon type external pickup system is a must.  Otherwise the pump will cavitate and air will get into the oil and your beautful engine will be gone in an instant. Below 6500 all the old rules apply and no trouble will be seen.
For the ultimate in efficiency (although they are not as sexy looking) nothing beats a turbo (or a pair of them.)  A roots type uses 1/2 the extra power it makes to drive itself. A turbo uses waste exhaust heat to drive itself which cost 0 hp. Similar boost can be achieved with both.
Look on my web site there is a turboed slant 6 altered there we built years before the turbo craze ever started. It was a blast to drive despite the fact it was only a 170 cube.
Don

[AD removed for archives]
Are you serious about buying a NEW car or truck soon?
Research before stepping on the car lot and save THOUSANDS!
Get NO OBLIGATION price quotes from car dealers in your area.
caacOlPb7yoMzf/LeadClick

----

b7yoMz.