From: Jimmy Peavy [mailto:peaver63@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 9:16 PM
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 727 guru needed

I really can't remember .
That's why I asked for help within the group.
I wanted to say that there was a flat on the input shaft (maybe on the
end?), and that it may have been slightly smaller.
The wiring may have come out of the valve body.Maybe a couple of wires.
I was shown the differences by a transmission rebuilder about 15 yrs ago.
There never was much interest by me, or anyone else to use the lock-ups,
due to the non-availability of performance converters at the time.The
Allpar site has some history of them but not much in comparisons of the
two styles.
Below is an excerpt of their page on the subject:

I've really never seen too many pre-1978 Torqueflites "wear out" or
break that haven't been either misused or neglected. Probably the only
major trouble I can think of relates to the 1978 and later model year
lock-up converter 904's and 727's. The torque converter had a piston and
friction disc inside it that locked the turbine solid to the impeller
front cover. This in effect eliminated any slippage in the converter and
helped fuel efficiency. (The lock-up only happens after the 2-3 shift.)
A few of the early complaints with the lock-up units were sluggish
vehicle performance, pinging, bad cold weather performance, dying in
reverse and most of all, vibration and surging after lock up. Diagnosis
showed some units were locking too early and dragging the engine down
(restricted cooler lines or worn oil pump drive gears sometimes caused
the converter clutch to lock in reverse which killed the engine). The
fix for premature lock-up was to install a different spring in the valve
body to raise the lock-up speed. The pump clearances were also tightened
to make sure ample fluid was available to keep the converter operating
properly and prevent lock-up in the wrong gears. The lock-up
Torqueflites probably caused more headaches for service technicians than
any other previous units.

   Jimmy

[AD removed for archives]
Amazing Diet Patch