RE: 1980 440 and transmission

[AD removed for archives]
Free recipes to get you in shape
caacVmfb7yoMza/PermissionData

The heads should have figure 8 chapes cooling ports which aid in better
cooling of the heads. Also, a true motorhome engine will have small
block chevy style parkplugs. Meaning they use a 5/8 sparkplug socket
instead of the usual 13/16. This was done ( I believe ) to leave
moreroom for cooling port material around the plugs to help cool them.
As I recall, my 1976 Pace arrow motorhome with a 440 had a steel crank,
even though they were supposed to have stopped making stell cranks in
'73 ( I have had 3 other steel crank big blocks from the late '70s as
well)

Most people know that '78 was the last year for big blocks, but there
have been people who claim that motorhomes used them up untill 1980.

Doc.
TWFAUST@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I need an engine and there is an add in the San Diego Trader where I
> live
> for a complete 440 and transmission that per the ad was removed for a
> diesel conversion with only 40K miles.  I have not called yet, what is
> fair price for the engine, I really don't need the transmission.
> Sounds
> like a truck or RV engine.
>
> Thanks
>

> I'm on the right coast, but have sold a couple of RV 440's in the last
> few
> years. Low mileage on them is not unusual. I have gotten between 4 and
> 600 for
> them. They tend to be unusual. Heavier duty timing chains, "six pack"
> rods
> and steel cranks on the older ones. I think the rods and cranks were all
>  used
> up by 1974. They all had aftermarket intakes of various kinds. I think
> that
> was about making the carb sit lower. I have heard that they had
> different heads
>  with more cooling ports, but I have never seen this.
>
> The tranny's usually have the parking brake built into the output
> housing,
> like most trucks. They can be converted for car use, but it is only cost
>
> effective if you have the parts kicking around.
>
> Tom Faust

[AD removed for archives]
**Attention Vioxx Users: Merck Knew About harmful effects** You
may be entitled to a cash settlement from Merck. No
Obligation- just answer this 60 second survey to find out.
caacVlOb7yoMzf/Penn Media

----

b7yoMz.