Re: Hyrdarulic tappets

[AD removed for archives]
Need a Laptop? Get a Sony Vaio Laptop Free!
caac6MFa/ProductTestPanel

Don and all,
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned on the list  or not, but I was
recently made aware that the break-in lube should be applied  to the lobes and
lifter faces. It seems that the heavy viscosity of the break-in  lube can
impair the rotation of the lifter during the critical break-in period.  I know this
piece of information will change my procedure, as I usually slobber
everything in the stuff thinking if a little was good, a bunch would be  better....so
much for that philosophy. Anyway, lots of oil on the sides,  assembly lube on
the lifter face.
    Obviously, a cam failure several thousand miles  later is another matter,
but hopefully those of us that only do a motor  once in a while can keep from
wiping a lobe in the break-in. Those that build  several motors a year
probably already know this. One more item, the fuel pump  rod must be treated the
same as the rest of the lifters...Lord knows these rods  seem to wear down
frequently(wondering if the over application of break-in lube  may have inhibited
it's rotation).
    Hope this helps, Dan Jenks

...."One  Nation, UNDER GOD"....(no matter what a crackpot judge says!")

'62  Plymouth Sport Fury
'62 Plymouth Fury wagon
'62 Plymouth Fury 4-dr.
'69  Super Bee
'68 Coronet R/T Hemi
'04 Hemi Ram QuadCab  4x4

[AD removed for archives]
Get a FREE* Portable Satellite Radio - yours to keep! Click Here!
caac6MKf/Portable Satellite Radio Promotion

----

http:///u/?.