RE: Buying a car long-distance...How to save your SANITY

RE: Buying a car long-distance...How to save your SANITY

[AD removed for archives]
Get a FREE* MP3 Player - yours to keep! Click Here Now!
caac8uxa/MP3 Player Giveaway

HI All,

I have bought and sold more cars that I care to remember.  Here are the basics that I always use when I buy a car that I can't physically inspect.

1.  Gauge the Seller.... Like it's been said before, your gut will tell you if they are a straight shooter.

2.  Get someone to look at the car.

this really isn't as difficult as you think.  If you don't know someone in the town or city they are in, then do the next best thing.  Call the local town planning commission or the mechanic association that has most shops are it  (Ask you local mechanic the name.  Something like ASA).  Ask them to recommend a reputable body shops and auto shops.  Then call each of them until you find one you feel comfortable with.  Ask them to spend 1 - 2 hours checking your car.  The worst case scenario is that that this will set you back 300 - 400.00.  But that is CHEAP insurance based upon dropping 10k or more on a car.
You CAN'T see the amount of bondo on a car unless you really inspect it.  If the car has had fresh paint, you won't know what is under it...  You want an expert to look at the car.  Be specific.

If body shop, tell them that you want them to put the car on a lift, check each of the wheel wells.  If the car is known for problem spots, have the shop tell you if it's okay or not.  Verify any repairs and damage that was done to the car.  Ask the seller before you take it in.  That way if the car doesn't match the story, then you know you don't have a winner.

Also, I'm sure you all know that NEVER go to buy a car alone.  Bring a car buddy who is not interested in the car.  They will point out all of the problems that you don't see.

3.  Get a copy of the title.  Make sure it's a clean title, no salvage and currently registered in the sellers name.  I once bought a hemi car that the title showed as a Chevy.  The vin # was correct, but the title was not.  I had to take the car to a dmv to get them to change it.  Then I got hit with the back fees.  I spent almost a day and over 250.00 that I wasn't prepared to pay.

4.  Get the history of the Car.  How long have they owned it.  What repairs have they done.  Can they send copies of the receipts, etc, etc, etc...

5.  KNOW the car that you are buying.  IF you are willing to part with your hard earned money for a car, make sure you know how to tell if it's REAL.  How to verify whether matching numbers.  Know how to check under the rubber for possible damage and color changes.

6.  It's takes multiple calls to get all the info.  Don't be afraid to spend hours on the phone (ONLY if really serious) to learn about this car...

Thomas

ledman_70@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I live in Ohio and my buddy bought a NICE 65 Chevelle SS from a guy in
California.