Re: rear main seal replacement

[AD removed for archives]
Investigate just about anyone and anything with Web Detective!
caadlCmbOyW3Na/Web Detective

Subject: rear main seal replacement
The mechanic working on my 1962 Poly 318 is going to attempt to replace the rear main seal w/o removing the crank - says he should be able to just slide it in.

What chance of success do you experts think he'll have?

He also says that if he can't I'll then have to replace all the crank bearings when he removes the caps - says you can't re-use the crank bearings once you've removed the caps.

Bearings aren't that expensive, but I'd rather not incur the expense unless I have to.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

HOLY COW

Glad I didn't know this.....I can't count the number of times i've reused mains because they look too good to replace.

We do scotchbrite them and smear them with moly paste if we need more piece of mind.

Still waiting for a problem to show up....been doing it since about 68....and before I saw the light, I did this with a couple
of Ford Y-Bolcks ...last I heard they're both still running....

In 1966 after driving my 55 ford 2 door post fron Minn to Phoenix az, i soon discovered that anytime I paid someone to
fix someting on my car, it seemed like I would then have to fix it right .

I'm sure there are great honest mechanics out there, to my regret I haver not been able to cross paths with them....

After seeing the posts about $1000 727 rebuilds and throwing away good main bearings, I guess I was fortunate.

The war surplus police car engine we ran for many years in our charger had a bad thrust bearing...we changed it in the car
after lossening all the main caps, and changed out the rope main seal with the 2-piece neopreme style......ran that engine
for 10 years and turned 13.9s in street trim in phoenix during the summer.

rob in phx

[AD removed for archives]
Want a laptop? Get an Apple iBook for free! caadlVBbOyW3Nf/Amazing Computer -------------------------------------------------------------------

----