RE: unocal program

[AD removed for archives]
Get a Free Sirius Satellite Package, don't pass on this!
caadHlCbOyW3Na/ProductTestPanel

Unocal's Scrap or Eco-scrap were programs to pay a bounty for older cars
to get them off the road. I think it officially ran from 1990 - 1997.

Very generally, like all scrappage programs, Unocal and supporting
governmental agencies had the shortsighted theory was that all old cars
are polluters and "bad" anyway so scrappage was a way for a business to
collect & crush them in trade for emissions credit. Scrappage programs
allowed private industries to postpone emission reduction improvements
in their plants by purchasing and destroying older vehicles that were
assumed to be responsible for a disproportionate share of air pollution.

Many fully functional but seldom driven pre-1970 cars were snagged &
crushed.

Car hobby fans and aftermarket organizations fought the scrappage
programs and made headway to eliminate Federal funding for the programs
and at least allow parts to be removed from the vehicles before they
were pancaked or for the cars to be sold.

The false logic behind scrappage programs eventually came out. But a lot
of legislators still are misinformed about the issue, both in the US and
around the world.

Reality is more like 10% of the cars produce 50% of the pollution,
regardless of age -- Past three years of age, poorly maintained and
tampered with cars are the polluters, not just the pre-1980 cars
identified by the EPA and shortsighted legislators and activists.

For example, how many 1963 Dodges do you see in morning rush hour
compared to 1990's cars running out of tune or with faulty emissions
systems?

Lucky for you and your Plymouth that someone saved it from the crusher.

Below are links to some articles that provide background info.

Thanks,
Gary H.

P.s., "Donate your car for charity" is a current variation of this idea.
Many people donate their car  not realizing that it goes straight to the
junkyard. A few years ago I saw a complete, rust free 1956 Dodge running
car in a junkyard that had just arrived in that boneyard, along with a
batch of other charity donated vehicles.

http://www.hotrod.com/projectbuild/42840/ -- Magazine article from Hot
Rod about scrappage

http://www.houstonmopars.org/noscrap.html -- Arguments against scrappage

.epa.gov/aa/programs.nsf/0/f62a60fcda9a3b648525651c00506e3d?OpenDocument
- EPA on Unocal

.gov/aa/tcmsitei.nsf/0/c2f7e1d6b69ece73852566de005579c1?OpenDocument#olr
- EPA on scrappage & Unocal

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=61738 -

tom hecht wrote:

> my satellite had a unocal tag on the engine when
> i got it, can anyone give me the full story.
> i've been told it was a program that bought old cars
> to be crushed, then activists allowed the survivors to
> be resold.
>
> the story with mine is it was a one owner,has a
> fullerton
> indians parking sticker in the window, and a southern
> cal AAA sticker.
>
> i bought it from a guy in wisc that was buying the
> unocal cars from the junkyards, it did have current
> cal license and title when i got it.
>
> anybody?
>
> tom
> 65 satellite

[AD removed for archives]
Take movies and games anywhere with a Free Playstation Portable!
caadHlFbOyW3Nf/ProductTestPanel

----

bOyW3N.