Re: 1.6 rockers intake side

thank you tom!
everything i have read about racer brown has said the
cams are designed to run with a 1.5/1.6 set-up.
including the rockers assemblies they sell.

back to my point a long time ago, the majority of cams
for mopar, use designs based on 1.5/1.5.

in my case ultradyne has told me the gain from a
1.5/1.6 would not be worth the added expense, since
these cams are designed to work with 1.5/1.5 rockers.

on the flip side, several engine builders in the twin
cities are saying they like the 1.5/1.6 set-up on big
blocks, one in particular is swearing by "cam
dynamics". and he has built some of the quickest 440's
in the area.

since i have been using ultradynes i have had no
problems, and i know a couple very fast guys who also
use them with 1.5/1.5 rockers.

i think to a degree don is right, cams may be as
personal as chevy or ford, you like what you like, and
if you change brands even the smallest problem becomes
big "anti-brand" selling points.

tom
65 satellite

--- Tom Watters <tomwatters@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> from a set of crane iron
> > 1/5 adjustables (moved the adjusters inward about
> 30 years ago )  and the
> > results were not unlike the last test.(There was
> certainly no gain)
> > At the levels of cam we are running  which are
> relatively mild compard to
> > a pro stock cam etc  it would be no problem for
> the cam manufacture to
> > make a cam with the same figures and area under
> the curve with 1/5s that
> > would be the same as 1/6s are running on the 1/5
> cams we are using
> > currently. It is I think though true that cam
> timing is a very critical
> > thing and bolting on a set of 1.6s often hurts
> more than it helps. We
> > will keep flogging this though to find out for
> sure. I know for instance
> > putting 1/6s on a cam like the ST-H-42 Racer brown
> which is a FULL ON cam
> > with absolutley no compromises would almost
> certainly ruin its
> > performance as it is already maxed out. and you
> cant go beyond that with
> > out messing things up.
> > 1/6 while they do not change the duration from
> actual opening and closing
> > do change the "effective duration" at 050 and at
> .200 lift. because the
> > valve is open more earlier and flow events are
> changed.  Serious cam
> > manufacturuer give the duration at 200 " and at
> 050  for this reason.
> > Because the valve would be at the 050 or .200 lift
> point earlier  the
> > duration at these points would be greater than it
> would with 1/5 rockers.
> > It takes very  few degrees to make or ruin cams
> performance
> > . Anyway we will try several more combos and see
> if we ever get an
> > increase. (i AM BETTING NO)
> > I have yet to see anyone running through the pits
> saying i put on 1/6s
> > and dropped 2 tenths. Usually they are very quiet
> because they just
> > spent 3 or 4 hundred bucks and got nothing or an
> even worse result and
> > think they did something wrong. We often hear" it
> feels better" or "seem
> > a lot better" but if it aint on the time slip,
> baby , then it aint there.
> > However i reserve the right to say "I was wrong"
> should I get positive
> > results. This is just my current thinking today.
> > Don
> > Author of
> > Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
> > Old Reliable (Mopar)
> > http://stores.ebay.ca/Don-Dulmage-Enterprises
> removed]
> >
> Tom
> 65 Dart GT 'vert
> 68 Plymouth 'vert
> Las Vegas, NV
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.fm - Send your email first class

> sponsor:

> Get a Free Sirius Satellite Package, don't pass on

caadHlCbOgXg2f/ProductTestPanel

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs