RE: compression gauge question

 Neal, it sounds like you are correct,move to the head
of the class.I'd pull the valve cover and have a
peek,turn to TDC compression stroke #1 and look for
excessive clearance on the valves.My guess is the
intake stem and guide are jizzed up with crud.You can
turn the engine over and observe the valve action,you
will likely see something obvious, valve staying open
and the push rod getting loose,broken spring
perhaps.You might get away with spraying the jeepers
out of a sticky stem with carb cleaner and running
some ATF in the crankcase,don't eat a good meal before
you pull the valve cover,the sludge you see may make
you vomit. Stan

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs