RE: Dwell Angle

[AD removed for archives]
Are you a lottery player?Play smarter! Improve your
odds  and detect winning patterns. Access the best
kept lottery secret on the Net. Easy to use!
caadVJPbOyW3Na/Lottery Vault

Tom, forget the feeler guage and set the points with your dwell meter.
Here I'm cuting and pasting part of the directions from that web site I
posted last night:

"If you want to adjust it more exactly and get that much better
performance, you'll need a dwell meter. This you can get at any discount
auto place. This is an electrical meter with two clips- connect one to
the wire that goes between the coil and the distributor, the other to
the ground. When you crank the starter (it doesn't have to start) you
should be able to read the dwell angle on the meter- it should be 40-45
for /6s and in the 27-34 range for V8s (check specs for your particular
V8). You can adjust the point gap by loosening the holddown screw until
it's just barely loose. notice there's a slot for sticking a screwdriver
into the points frame, so by twisting, you can move the points frame to
slightly open or close the gap."

Yes you need to decrese your gap because your dwell reading is too low.
After you get the dwell set right then replace the rotor and cap and
recheck the dwell when it's running. Don't even bother to check the
timing until the dwell is right. While your at Sears pick up a remote
starter button too. It'll make checking the dwell a lot easier.

Dan

Tom Duross wrote:

> Thanks guys, I feel better now.
> I'm gonna get one of those wire style feeler gauges.
> I'm still using the old flat blade one I stole from my Dad 20 years ago,
>
> that might help get a better gap read.
> So set the gap on the points, plug the vacuum advance hose from the carb
> and
> check the timing, then check the dwell angle?
> Now if the angle is still below spec, I should decrease the gap?
>
> Tom "Mr. Dwell" Duross
> Boston

[AD removed for archives]
Erase wrinkles without Botox! Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to
reduce wrinkles by 68% Click here to get your 30-day free supply.
caadVJZbOyW3Nf/Nexiderm

----

bOyW3N.