RE: 220 v advice

[AD removed for archives]
Need a new Cell Phone? A BlackBerry 7250 could be yours free! Find
out how!
caadV2bbOyW3Na/Amazing phone

My 220V miller matic runs a 30' extension cord, 12 gage, 30 amp breaker.
NEver a problem.

My Miller Thunderbolt stick welder runs a 10 gage 50' cord on the same
circuit. under high use/amps, (max setting)it will pop the breaker. Of
course I am pulling over 30 amps, and it would pop without the extension
cord.

Low use, short duty cycle, 12 should be fine. If you plan to work for
extended periods, go 10 gage. If you build it with 12 and it even feel
warm, you are too small. If this is single phase, (probably) you can get
a reg. 110V extension cord, ( 12 ga of course)cut the ends, and install
your needed ends. If you find its too small, no biggie, you can salvage
the cord, buy buying two replacement 110v ends and then go with the 10
ga wire. for your final. 10 Ga is pretty good stuff, if its not alot
more expensive, just get it and git r done. The only drawback, its
pretty heavy cord.

Get 50 amp plugs, they will never be a problem. Mine use elec. dryer
type ends. Alternatively, I would use 50 amp twist lock. Unless this is
for a stick welder, then I might go the next size up, if you plan to use
it alot.

Doc.

Robert neal zimmerman wrote:

> trying to make a 220v extension cord so i can move my plasma cutter
> around the shop a bit.
>    Plasma cutter is rated at 16 amps, but it says cutting amperage is
>    5-25, depending on thickness of metal.
>    breaker in wall is a 40.
>     I want the cord to be twenty feet long.
>      What gauge wire should I get?
>       What about the ends, should those be rated at 25 amps? or would
>       that matter? They have some monster ends but i dont know if I need
>       them that big.
>     PS- yes this is for my 62-65 mopar.
>    neal Zimmerman, eugene Oregon
>

> --
> http://www.fastmail.fm - Email service worth paying for. Try it for free

[AD removed for archives]
Ben & Jerry?s® or Häagen-Dazs®?
Take our Nationwide Ice Cream Survey today! Receive a FREE* $100
Restaurant Gift Card of your choice or $100 worth of Ben &
Jerry?s® or Häagen-Dazs® ice cream for participating!
caadVYQbOyW3Nf/Ice Cream Research Survey

----

bOyW3N.