Re: VIN decoding extra points ;-)

[AD removed for archives]
caadVJEbOyW3Na/PC PowerScan

The export plant was on Wyoming Avenue on the west side of Detroit.  It was
built around 1918 by the Saxon Motor Corporation, a company backed by Hugh
Chalmers, late of the Chalmers Motor Company (the company that built the
Chrysler facility on Jefferson Avenue).  Saxon went bust in 1921 and the
plant was purchased by General Motors shortly after.  Chrysler bought the
plant in 1934 and opened it in 1936 for production of DeSoto cars.  A
stamping plant was erected next to it a couple of years later.

DeSoto used the plant through to the end of the 1958 model year.   The
former stamping plant was converted to glass production during 1960 and
became the McGraw Avenue glass plant.  The main plant on Wyoming was used
for export production starting in 1960 and was used through 1980.  It was
torn down in 1992.

The Wyoming plant built cars for export to countries outside North America.
Many of them were shipped CKD (Completely Knocked Down) with the car in
pieces all stuffed into one large crate.  Many such units were shipped
without rubber parts, electrical bits, interior upholstery and the like with
the assembly plant doing the final assembly using local firms for such
parts.  Just a way to lower import duties at the receiving end.  Many bodies
were also shipped 'in the white', meaning the bodies were paintd white to
prevent rust build up on the voyage.  The plant doing the assembly would
give the car the final colour coat.

The VIN code for the Wyoming plant was "8" from 1960 through 1967 and "P"
from 1968 through 1980.

As a side note, the third plant in the DeSoto complex was located a short
distance from Wyoming Avenue on Warren Avenue.  This plant was built by the
Paige-Detroit Motor Company which became the Graham-Paige Motor Corporation
in 1927.   Graham attempted to enter the auto market after W.W.II in
partnership with Kaiser but could not raise the funds to keep above water.
So, G-P sold its interest in the Frazer car to Kaiser-Frazer and sold the
Warren Avenue plant to Chrysler in 1947.   Chrysler used the plant from 1950
to 1958 making DeSoto bodies and engines and from 1959 to 1961 was used as
the Imperial assembly plant (VIN code "4").  Chrysler sold the plant
sometime in the late 1960's.

Bill
Vancouver, BC