RE: Sad day for the mopar world.

[AD removed for archives]
Ben & Jerry?s® or Häagen-Dazs®?
Take our Nationwide Ice Cream Survey today! Receive a FREE* $100
Restaurant Gift Card of your choice or $100 worth of Ben &
Jerry?s® or Häagen-Dazs® ice cream for participating!
caadVYQbOyW3Na/Ice Cream Research Survey

Sorry to here about your car, Ben.

What is this crap that insurance companies pull when they decide to total a car then offer to sell it back to you?  Just
exactly whose name is on the ownership?  My neighbor had success with this exact stance.  He played them like a fiddle
really.  His car was wrote off and after providing a number of receipts and supporting documentation, they negotiated an
amicable price to settle the claim.  Then insurance guy calls and says that XYZ towing is gonna come pick the car up on
such and such day.  He says "why is that?  It's my car, isn't it?"  Insurance guy says when you signed the settlement
you also gave up rights to the car.  My neighbor then explains that the car is still his and he has a valid ownership to
the car in his name and if anyone tries to remove the car from his property, the police will be called and they will be
charged with theft of the car.  The insurance guy says whoa, whoa, wait a minute here; we're just talking about salvage
here.  We routinely salvage totalled cars to try and recoup our losses.  My neighbor says, then just exactly what do my
insurance fees cover?  No answer from insurance guy.  My neighbor then says that he'll look after the salvage of the car
himself and the conversation is pretty much over.  At the end of the story he got the negotiated price for the car and
he got to keep the car.  Moral of the story: stand your ground and don't let the insurance company push you around.
Don't relinquish possession of the car unless necessary.  Do not offer anymore information than is necessary to answer
their questions as anything that is said in passing may turn around and bite you later.  Stand your ground and do your
homework and don't settle for anything less than total satisfaction.

That's my two cents anyway.  Good Luck to you, Ben!

Scott.