RE: Fine tuning

[AD removed for archives]
Need a new Cell Phone? A BlackBerry 7250 could be yours free! Find
out how!
caad32RbOyW3Na/Amazing phone

Tom,

As you say, "to each his own". I perfer the power valves, especialy for a
street car.
That is how Holley designed the carb to give you better overall performance.
With
the new blow out protection, and people tuning correctely, you don't have
the old
blow out issues you had in the past. It works both ways. Good advice....

Earl

on the opposite side of the coin is plugging the power valve and jetting
6-10 jets higher in the rear.
not sure where your settingas are, but this is how i tune all of my buddies
ebay specials (and sometimes
new) holleys and demons,

1) set all of the idle screws at 1 turn out, 2)set the butterflies to barely
open, but equal, 3)make sure the pumps have a gap when idling.
4) if it wants to die, open each butterfly a quarter
   turn till it idles
5)fine tune the idle screws, mine are set at 3/4 turn out, and if i turn any
one of them a quarter turn in the engine will labor. the theory is to screw
them out until it starts to get rough then 1/4 turn back in, i dont do that
but many do.
 i can tell you both of my cars have double pumpers and will idle all day
long without choking you and have got no stumble issues, the satellite has a
rather big cam and is set almost the same as my small engine with small cam.

i also do not run power valves, to each his own.
i guage my jets by how they color my plugs, white plugs need bigger jets,
black plugs need smaller jets.

tom
65 satellite

--- ledman_70@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> New Holley 780 cfm, but changing the power valve is an option I never
> considered. Never changed the pump setting.
> Jeff
> Earl Helm wrote:
> >
> > Is this thing a Holley? If so, put a power valve
> in it. That should
> > stop the rich at idle. Then see how much vacuum
> you have with
> > the Huges 509 cam, and then put the "Right" Power
> valve in it. That
> > should make your 1500 to 1800 stumble go away. If
> not, I would
> > suppect you have the Accelorator gap set
> incorectely.
> >
> > Earl
> >

> > This is VERY off the wall, so ignore if stupid in
> your
> > case...but,....are
> > your air filters of sufficient capacity to support
> the carb/engine
> > needs?
> > Mine were not...so I had a constant "over rich"
> > condition...adjusted to hell and back on the
> carbs...finally got some
> > help.
> > Bob Fortson
> >
> > --- ledman_70@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > > Your free subscription is supported by today's
> > > sponsor:

> > > So Much Television, Such Little Time!  In Love
> with
> > > Lost(TM) or
> > > Devoted to Desperate Housewives(TM)? Take our
> premier week survey,
> > > complete our offers, and get a FREE* DVD set of
> either show!
> > >
> caad3QabQmH9Ma/Viewer
> > > Survey

> > > I have changed jetting, squirter, and pump cam.
> The car is running so
> > > rich at idle if you stand behind it, your eyes
> burn.
> > > I'm going to mess
> > > with the jetting some more next chance I get.
> The pump lever is at
> > > stock setting, just touching the adjusting nut
> at idle.
> > > Jeff

> you
> > > set
> > > set
> mine
> > > down

> taken

> stick
> > > into

> me
> > > here,
> load
> on
> > > vacuum
> you
> > > say

> > > given

> advance?

> don't
> and
> > > faulty

> advance
> ECU/distributor?

> > > complete
> rejetted
> > > the
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005 http://mail.yahoo.com

[AD removed for archives]
Take our Nationwide Ice Cream Survey today! Receive a FREE* $100
Restaurant Gift Card of your choice or $100 worth of Ben &
Jerry?s® or Häagen-Dazs® ice cream for participating!
caad3P6bOyW3Nf/Ice Cream Research Survey

----

bOyW3N.