RE: Overdrive tranny

[AD removed for archives]
New Apple® iPod® nano. As Thin as a No. 2 Pencil. Stores up to 3
Days of Songs! Get it Here FREE*!
caad3PYbOyW3Na/Superb Rewards

If I wanted to use a different trans, I would pick the 4L60E supplied
in the 1994 to 1996 Impala SS, and Caprice Cop cars. I have this
trans in my Impala SS and it is a great unit. Much better than the 700R4.

The 4L60E has the low first gear stock, with a 1.6 overdrive. My Impala
is putting out 425 rear wheel HP at 4400 feet altitude. It does not
have the torque our Mopars develop, but the parts are avaiable to handle
it. There is an electronic unit to run the trans without having an on board
computer. I run a 4:10 gear, and turn about 2750 RPMs at 75. With the
low gear, it is a stop light bandit, and drives well on the freeway.

Just a thought....

Earl

You are probably right.  I just can't bring my self to do something like
that.  It really burns me that MOpar didn't do something like that for our
rigs.
MOPAR413 Polara 500 (Gary)

>GARY WILSON wrote:
> >
> > Why would anybody want a 700R from a &(*& * ???I believe that you
> > can buy the overdrive unit for Mopar and install it behind the 727.
>
>Well, I'm guessing the price.  The Mopar A518 needs an adapter to mount
>it to the big block.  This gets real expensive, for the trans plus
>adapter.  Adding an aftermarket O.D., such as a Gear Vendors, is close
>to $3,000.  I'm assuming a GM O.D. trans is quite a bit cheaper, even
>after purchasing the Mopar adapter for it.
>
>The A727 is, however, the best automobile automatic transmission ever,
>in my opinion.  Who knows if a GM O.D. trans can take the abuse of a
>stout 440.
>
>Sean

[AD removed for archives]
Take our Nationwide Ice Cream Survey today! Receive a FREE* $100
Restaurant Gift Card of your choice or $100 worth of Ben &
Jerry?s® or Häagen-Dazs® ice cream for participating!
caad3P6bOyW3Nf/Ice Cream Research Survey

----

bOyW3N.