RE: well then maybe an 8.25/was A-body 8.75

RE: well then maybe an 8.25/was A-body 8.75

[AD removed for archives]
FREE DVR
And up to 3 additional standard receivers!
Call 1-800- 901 - 5080 Today
caaeas1bOyW3Na/DirectSatTV

Neal I would think you could pick up an 8.25 for a hundred bucks or so,
maybe a little more if you can find one with a sure grip. A friend of
mine has an original 73 Duster 340 (with a very nasty not so stock 340)
and that's what it came with. He never blew it up however he's now
installed an 8.75 from a B body just because it's easier to change gear
ratios. This switch may be a litle tighter on your Valaint because of
the closed wheel wells but check out this link. It has a section on
putting a B body rear in an A body. Plus it has all the measurement
charts so you can tell if that A body axle you're looking at is really
an A body. (That chart just saved me some trouble. It turns out that 69
Road Runner rear end I was going to put in my 63 Fury is really out of
an E body)

http://www.autohobbydigest.com/8_75.html

The other thing to consider with the price of that 8.75 you're looking
at is what center section is in it. A 742 or 489 is worth a lot more
than a 741 case.

BTW Have you considered putting a super six intake and a set of Dutra
Duals on your six and converting to disc brakes? Here's some more links
that may want to look at.

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/supersix/article.htm

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/exhaust-man-mods/exhaust-manifold-mods.htm

http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html

Dan McCormack

63 Fury Convert 440 Pushbutton
68 Dodge A-100 camper van 360 auto on the dash
78 Dodge D-150 short bed 225 Super Six (soon to have Dutra Duals)

Robert neal zimmerman wrote:

> OK, well theres a graveyard here full of  A-body Darts, Valiants and
> Dusters and most still have their rears. Unfortunately they are the 8.25
> variety.
>    So if I used a later 8.25 A-body rear I would- A) Pay much, much less
>    for it
>                                                   B)Get the 4 on 5.5
>                                                   bolt pattern axles
>    BUT!!-
>     How tough is the 8.25 rear and how many gears and sure grip units
>     are available for it.
>     Would it hold up to a stout 340 or maybe even a stroker 360
>         It is a very, very  light car, that would help hold down parts
>         breakage i guess.
>    Neal Zimmerman, eugene oregon

[AD removed for archives]
caaedmqbOyW3Nf/PC PowerScan