Painting a steering wheel

Guys have mentioned that Eastwood has kit for restoring your steering wheel.
You can save some money and buy your own stuff.  PC-7 epoxy, for patching
cracks, sandpaper, primer and topcoat. I have used Eastwood Underhood Black before.
It has a satin sheen and doesn't need clearcoat, it is real tuff stuff.
(I have painted wiper arms that have held up for a number of years, for
example.)  Of course, you may want to use a color to match your old one.
(The "over the counter" spray paints have improved soooo much over the years.)

You can use any good spray paint for a base, scuff with Scotchbrite, then
recoat with clear. Just be sure the clear is compatible, or the same brand, or it can eat into the basecoat. When you fill cracks, leave the epoxy a little bit
higher than the surface, so you can sand it down.  PC-7 is easy to work.
A good primer is nice, it helps you see the uneven spots better,
and is easy to sand.  (PC-7 can be thinned with MEK, or other solvent
so you can make it easier to spread, or left thick for big cracks.)

You can use a satin clear, but satin isn't as hard as gloss.
If you use gloss paint, you can rub it out with fine steel wool to give it
a satin look.  The main thing is prep, so be sure the surface is free
of any oils, silicone (especially stuff like Armorall) and dirt.
Clean well with a solvent before patching and painting to promote
adhesion and prevent lifting.  You can even wear latex gloves
to keep your skin oil off the surface, and don't sand dirt into
it. Then sand, patch, sand, prime, etc., scuffing between coats.
I also use a tack rag after sanding, scuffing.
Doesn't hurt to blow off the dust with compressed air, first.
(I'm sure you probably know this, but it doesn't hurt to mention.)

Good luck,
Mike

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sean B" <polecat2@xxxxxxxx>