Re: Hella of a bright idea!

Howdy, all, good to be back!

Now, Schuyler <schuyler62@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I didn't touch the parking light circuit

If you like, you can make a simple mod to the headlamp switch so as to
keep the parking lamps lit when you turn on the headlamps (on pre-'68
Mopars except for Barracudas, the parking lamps turn off when you turn on
the headlamps). Just run a short jumper between the "P" and "R" terminals
on the headlamp switch body, right down at the base of those terminals,
then push the connector block onto the switch, on top of your new jumper
wire. Quick, easy and clean. As long as you're careful to route the jumper
wire directly from "P" to "R", you can just use bare 16ga wire.

Other than that, no, there's no need to change the factory parking lamp
circuitry in any way. If you install headlamps with built-in parking
"city" lights (such as the ones I sold to Tom D for his '64) then it's
just a simple matter of moving the parking lamp feed wire from its
original location at the front park/turn lamps, to its new location at the
headlamps.

> all you need is the two wires off the high beam /low beam switch that
> control the high beam circuit and the one that controls the low beam
> circuit, trace those to the fire wall connector, (this is where the
> factory service manuel comes in handy), and run those wires to their
> respective relays.

Yep -- you can make it even easier by simply using the factory headlamp
wires *out front at the actual headlamps* to trigger the relays.

> I should email Dan, and thank him.

I surely do appreciate that, Schuyler! Glad to help out. I am happy to
answer people's questions about lighting repairs and upgrades (off list
please, I don't want to behave in a commercial manner on the list),
whether or not anyone winds up buying anything from me. I do stock all the
hard-to-find bits needed to make a good, durable and easy job of it, but
I'll readily admit I'm not the only source. As far as actual headlamps go,
it is wise to *BE CAREFUL* when choosing lamps, for there is a great deal
more junk on the market than there is good stuff, and even some of the
reputable manufacturers have some stinkers and duds in their product
lines...that's without factoring in the "Far East" (ahem) garbage one can
find all day on eBay, etc. Same goes for bulbs, be very careful and very
_choosy_. There's a great deal of advertising nonsense out there, people
hawking "extra white" bulbs with blue glass (that actually significantly
reduce your seeing), etc. Same goes here as goes for anything else:
Astounding claims with no real science or data to back 'em up,
sixty-dollar words, breathless hype, and sexy packages with glossy labels
usually mean someone's trying to distract you while they work on your
wallet!

-Stern
'62 Lancer, etc.

----