Re: Broadcast Sheet Decoding

The 1965 broadcast sheet can be decoded with the proper sales codes.   Prior
to 1969 the sales codes were numeric, and over the years the numbers changed
as more options were made available.

Many internet sites lump the sales codes from 1962 through 1968 together,
and that just cannot be done.  The 1962-64 sales codes went up to about 709
with the optional packages and groups from 320 through 340..   For 1965 the
codes were redone, and although the number spans were the same, more codes
were added and the numbers juggled around. .   Codes were rearranged again
for 1966, with the packages/groups starting at 350 and going up to 369.

As for the 1965 broadcast sheet, Galen Govier's 1965 numbers will work on
both the fender tag and the broadcast sheet.   However, the sales codes are
valid only on the section above "Build Codes".

The "Build Codes" on all broadcast sheets are not based on the sales codes.
Most are based on part numbers  (torsion bar build codes are the last three
digits of the part numbers) while other seem to be 'bin' numbers.

If you get a copy of the build record from DC Historical, you will find the
record does not have  a "Build Code" section and all numbers are based on
the sales codes.

In your case, Bill, list the codes used on your sheet and I can tell you the
correct sales code.  You will notice that many columns have three numbers
with the last number of the trio typed in the column.  For example, "Rear
Arm Rest" has code "467".  If your car has rear arm rests a "7" appears in
the column.  Your car thus has sales code "467" (and not "4677")  which is
the sales code for arm rests.  This was done where there are two choices for
that sales code - either the car has it or it does not.

The "Radio" column, for example,  has "44" and if it has a radio there will
be a number typed below the "44".  If the sheet has "1"., the sales code is
"441", which is for the AM Music Master radio.  (The 1960-61 code for the
same radio was "421", for 1962-64 it was "361" and  in 1966-68 it reverted
to "421".)   And, no, no number under "44" does not mean the car is "Radio
Delete".  It means the car does not have a radio, which was  optional.
"Radio Delete" is akin to saying a car without Sure-Grip is "Sure-Grip
Delete".   Since the basic car did not come with it, it cannot be deleted.

Bill
Vancouver, BC