To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2007 3:39 PM
Subject: Re: Cowl Rust

Gary, I also have a 62 Polara that after some close inspection found that there was rust on the upper cowl that was filled with some type of tar and painted over. The lower section of the cowl also had a large rusted thru area that was repaired in the same manner. Boy was I disappointed when this was discovered. I finally decided to repair it correctly so out came the winshield and gasket. There must have been about 100 spot welds around the circumference of the cowl, these took forever to remove. I decided to replace the fire wall and cowl with another from a yard in arizona. Now there was about 150 more spot welds to deal with. I must have went through at least 18 spot weld removel blades, they seem to break so easy if not held evenly. You will probably find lots of very thin metal with fine pin holes on the upper and lower cowl if you seperate the pieces. Just remember that if you want to replace the upper cowl, it is necessary to remove the windshield because of the spot welds under the windshield gasket. Good luck, Alex in Ohio

Cary Morgan <413beatsstingray@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have some gnarly rust under the cowl of my dodge, under the slots in
front of the windshield. I also have rust through at the top of the
firewall in the engine bay and another hole right in front of the
drive door around the bolt that holds the fender to the body or the
inner fender. I'm afraid that in order to solve this ill have to cut
the cowl off, patch the rust then reweld the top of the cowl back on.
Is this standard procedure to deal with rust in this area?
--
Cary Morgan
1962 Polara 500

----