Re: Which Voltage regulator ?

On 12 05/07/07, don carson wrote:
> Which voltage regulator do I need for my set-up? '64
> Dodge 330 originally 318,now soon to be 440 with
> Mallory uni lite dist and Hy fire 6al box with a
> single wire alternator and original wiring harnesses.

original style 60-69 single wire alternator?  or GM style
"one wire" alternator (ala a summit 1-wire unit..)

if you have an original Chrysler 60-69 style, then you
can only hook up the 60-69 style (mechanical or solid
state).

If you want to use the 70&later, you'll need an isolated
field 70&later style alternator.

I don't think the Hy fire 6al box will have a problem so
long as the alternator is charging and the VR is limiting
it to no more than 14 volts.  stock VRs should limit volts
@ 13.5 or so.

Of course, check with MSD, see what is recommended/supported...

----