From: "Don Dulmage" <big-d@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 6:45 AM
Subject: drowning 383

> A 750 was not drowning you 383. Something else was wrong. Jetting wrong ,
bad carb overhaul. Busted or incorrect power valve. First a properly jeted
carb does not drown anything. it mixes 1 pound of fuel witrh every 13 pounds
of air regardless of what is under it for an engine. unless  someone has
monkeyed with it.  A bigger carb does not dump in more fuel that a smaller
one at the d same RPM. The reason for carb sizing is as follows. When a carb
is too big for a motor then at lower speeds  like under 2000 rpm the s
airflow is not high enough or stready enough to give the venturi booster
nozzle a strong enough signal so sustain a steady fuel flow. When you floor
the throttle even moderately hard the engine bogs as the engine does not
have enough air flow to support fuel delivery. Just  exactly the same as a
airplane wing on a  plane going too slow to give enough lift to lift the
plane off the runway. In fact it is the same principal . The bernoulli
principle.
> If you lived nearby and brought the 383 and 750 around i guarantee when
you left it would glaze your eyeballs over and you would have to get your
teeth fixed because you would be able to stop smiling. You need to find a
new carb guy i think. it cetainly has nothing to do with the 750 size.
> Carb size relates to airflow not fuel. flow. fuel flow is determined by
jetting which is approx 1/ 240th of venturi sze which keeeps the mixture in
constant. relationship .
> Reeally i am not steering you wrong I have n done many many 383s (and
349s ) with750  Holleys (3310)
> Have you still got the 750?
> DonD
> Author of