Carb question

Good morning Campers,

I've got an interesting issue with my 64 Belvedere.

1st, just pulled her out of storage last Friday.  318 poly, pushbutton 727
VERY stock and original (in fact it just turned 43K last Nov. before I put
her away for the winter).  I put a new 2B stromberg and choke on it last
spring because the original (I think it was original) was leaking pretty
bad.  She ran great all last summer, got 20-24 mpg, burns no oil at all,
smooth as silk.

OK, I put the battery cables on and pushed her out, started her and drove
her home, she was a little hard to start but it's been 4 months.
Now I'm home and I decided to go for a ride Sunday.  Just my usual single
pump on the accelerator, very hard to start cold, bogging, smoking, almost
impossible to idle but after sitting there working the throttle until she
starts to warm up, she runs smooth, no smoke, very even idle. It seems she's
running very rich so I took off the air cleaner and looked at the mixture
screws.  I took them in, one at a time until she started to bog (it was
warmed up at this point) and backed them off 1/2 a turn, like the FSM says.
Seems to run better now so I went for a nice ride, she starts back up after
stopping (still warm) and runs great.  I decided to chaulk it up to maybe
the stabilizer I put in the tank last November.

Yesterday, I decide to go for another ride after work.  Same thing trying to
get her to start.  So I pop the hood and take off the air cleaner and start
it again.  She wants to stall, uneven high idle, smoke, the same as before.
I pull down on the choke rod to open the choke and she speeds right up,
smoke disappears, smoothes right out.  What's going on?  A cold start with
no choke?  I hung a pair of vise-grips on the choke rod to keep it open and
she ran nice and smooth and once she started to warm up, I took them off and
she ran great.  I don't understand what happened?

When I put the WWC on, all I adjusted was the hot and cold idle speed.
Right out of the box she ran great.  I didn't touch the new choke.  Should I
take off the choke and try and adjust it so I stays open all the time?  I
don't know what's causing this sudden cold starting situation.  Anybody have
any ideas?  I know I'm not winter starting the engine so maybe I don't need
much choke but I can't disconnect it completely because I won't have the
high/low cam engaged (I think).

I have an another issue with the instruments but let me throw this out to
the Mopar masses and see who says what.

I'm willing to try anything, I was going to check the timing and dwell when
I get home today and pull the plugs but the plugs, points, rotor, cap and
wires are only about a year old, maybe 7K on them.  Oil is very clean,
almost translucent.

Thanks guys,

Tom Duross
Go Red Sox